Committed to operating with a safety-first approach to all of our work, Ken-Co Equipment Ltd. performs regular service and maintenance to help keep our equipment operating reliably and safely from our excavators to our trailers.
Every time one of our rental items is returned to our shop, our thorough technicians clean, inspect, and service the item, ensuring that it is ready for re-rental at a later time.
For more information on our safety procedures or about all the items and equipment we rent, contact us today.
Safety Tips Around Heavy Equipment
Working around heavy equipment is not an easy thing to do. You need to be careful every day when you’re handling these gigantic machines. A simple mess up could lead to a catastrophic result.
From injuries to fatalities, it might happen, especially if you don’t handle the heavy equipment properly. We don’t want that to happen with anyone, especially using our equipment here at Ken-Co Rentals.
That’s why in this article, we’re going to list down some of the tips that need to follow while working with heavy equipment. These tips might save your life if you follow them carefully.
Machine operators practices
If you’re operating a heavy machine like an excavator or a dump truck, you need to follow these tips to help you become a safe operator. This will help reduce the chance of having any kind of injury from happening.
- Adjust the side mirrors to help you expand your view of the area.
- Always be aware of the ground conditions to avoid any kind of collapse.
- Always inspect if the lights and the machine are properly working before starting it.
- Avoid working or moving the vehicle while there are workers around the vicinity.
- Before leaving the equipment area, you must turn off the engine to ensure that it will not move around easily.
- Don’t forget to wear a seatbelt.
- Learn the operator’s manual and familiarize yourself with the machine.
- Operating on slopes and other sides must be avoided.
- Don’t overload the vehicle.
- Vehicles and equipment must be covered with tarpaulin or any type of covering after usage.
Outside the vehicle safety guidelines
Safety is not just limited to the people that are operating the equipment and the vehicles themselves. The people outside the vehicle also need to be safe from the equipment to avoid any kind of injury from happening.
- Always remember to be aware of the surroundings.
- Making eye contact with the operator of the heavy equipment is a must to avoid any miscommunication.
- Remember to always follow all of the safety rules and regulations that were set to make sure that you won’t be injured.
- Riding on a blindspot of a moving vehicle or equipment is not advisable.
- Set-up workstations far away from the heavy equipment and vehicles.
- Talking in a loud voice is advisable to get your message across to your co-workers.
- Walking under a suspended load is not recommended.
- Wearing a hard hat is a must.
- You should always wear clothing with high-visibility to make yourself noticeable.
There are still a lot of safety tips that we did not cover here in this article but we hope that you’ll follow these tips to make sure that you’ll have a safe work environment. If you have any heavy equipment, you can visit us here at Ken-Co Rentals, we are looking forward to seeing you here.